If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try – Seth Godin
Hi there, I’m Rowena Morais.
I am a Kuala Lumpur – based writer, editor, podcaster and publisher. I specialise in executive education, content development, publishing and marketing.
I help business people, professionals and entrepreneurs to get their messages out clearly and to strengthen their personal brand. I do this by providing services related to writing, editing, content development and podcasting.
If you’re trying to figure out your niche, your audience, your content proposition and how to make this clearer and more meaningful, I believe I can help.
Writing and Editing
These are a few samples of work I can help you with whether it is to help you to plan, write, edit or ghostwrite :
- an article to be published on LinkedIn Pulse as part of your profile;
- an article that you choose to provide on your blog, a newspaper or as a guest-post on a third party site;
- your newsletter, email messages, advertisement (print, digital or social media)or sales page;
- your print or digital book (with your direction, of course);
- your event brochure, company brochure or other document describing your service/product;
- your personal or company website.
Are you trying to figure out how to get published and how to brand yourself in the marketplace? Writing a book does not always need to involve the traditional publishing route. You can explore other means of establishing yourself. You could consider building and growing your target audience through a blog and newsletter service, which could ultimately lead to self-publishing and the creation of digital products that you sell. There are many options to consider and I can help you navigate and make sense of the best way forward.
Managing Events and Moderating Discussions
I’m also good at running and managing events. Whether it’s a 100 person conference, a 20 person seminar, a panel session or an intimate breakfast Roundtable of eleven, I have the skill to bring the right people together, to manage and moderate the event and deliver on your needs.
My Other Business
I run Vertical Distinct, a media and learning organisation. We publish great content, with the help of our network of high calibre contributors from around the world. We also run a range of internationally accredited in-demand technical and professional courses across Asia Pacific and the Middle East. We do this for both Human Resource and Technology professionals.
If I can help you with any of the above, we should talk. Drop me a line at rowena at rowenamorais dot com.
I’d like to show you that often, it’s not about learning everything there is to know about a thing before you can start. It’s about starting from wherever you are. I’d like to show you that those who’ve achieved success don’t have any special powers that make them better than you. They’re oftentimes just willing to push through failure and experimentation to match the clarity and determination of their dreams.
If you like what you see here, I hope you’ll subscribe to my email newsletter. There’s no contract – you can opt-out at anytime you like and there’s no cost. Here’s some additional information about what I’ve been up to.
These are a sample of some my clients to show you that the industries, individuals and briefs can be pretty diverse.
- Full service hairdressing salon – helped my entrepreneur client edit her first self-study online course on personal enrichment, dress sense and feng shui;
- Image mastery and personal branding expert – helped my client with copy and positioning for the launch of her corporate website, social media posts and advertising campaigns;
- Career navigation speaker and author – helped my client develop a series of articles for publication across her website, social media channels and third party sites; and
- Successful business owner and tax consultant – helped my client ghostwrite his first book on business and marketing strategies for small businesses.
Study – I read law. I have no regrets about embarking on it because this encouraged a degree of rigour, dedication and perseverance needed for mastery. I practised law for two years before embarking on entrepreneurial adventures. Haven’t looked back since.
Travel – Through the years, travel has brought fresh perspective, for which I am grateful. I have lived in the quaint university town of Pontypridd in Wales, spent half a year in Auckland and worked for five years in Sydney. Currently, I call Kuala Lumpur home but that’s apt to change soon.
Work – I ran a niche Human Resources (HR) magazine called HR Matters. What started as an exploratory project to develop articles to market HR courses turned into a seven-year publishing journey which led me to where I am today. I am currently focused on Vertical Distinct, working as Editor and Publisher.
As a copywriter, I also help solo-preneurs and small to mid-size businesses articulate boldly, succinctly and convincingly, their vision and services through impactful words.
As a ghostwriter, I assist solo-preneurs and small to mid-size businesses, with writing. It could be brand new articles, a repurposing of older pieces they’ve already published/developed or helping them develop new content ideas. All in all, it involves helping them build a body of work and thought leadership in their areas of expertise.
As an editor, I help refine your writing so it shines.
As a content marketer, I help develop interesting and engaging content, either through articles, interviews or podcasts, that can provide value to your target readers.
Other places online where you can find me
- Contributing writer to US-based WomenofHR.com, a site dedicated to the development of women in HR and business. Founded by high calibre HR professionals including Lisa Rosendahl, Trish McFarlane, Jennifer Payne, Shauna Moerke and Lance Haun;
- Associate Editor at The HR Gazette, a community of leaders and influencers who offer fresh perspectives on topics such as HR Technology, Talent Management, Performance, Learning, Strategy and Leadership. A Canadian online publication with a global reach of 100,000;
- My food blog, The Road to Good Food, because… I am a foodie; and
- Feature writer and editor at Vertical Distinct, supporting both Human Resource and Technology professionals.
Worthy of mention?
Am particularly proud of these achievements:
- bootstrapped and launched a magazine with no prior background, no connections and no funding. Had a strong team in place that we were able to secure paid advertising in our launch issue with no mock-up;
- been running my own business since 2004;
- conquered my limiting belief and fear to successfully complete a half marathon in 2015;
- proud mom to three beautiful young people.
Where you can find out more about my work and my writing
Thanks to Grant Corban Photography for all my photos on this site.