Thrive #26 presents
Protecting yourself, protecting your business
with Shalini Nandan-Singh
About Shalini Nandan-Singh
Shalini is a lawyer, legal coach, mentor and the founder / owner of Legally Shalini. She is “obsessed with small business and micro start-ups”.
She founded Legally Shalini in 2016 and provides support through legal coaching and mentoring to ‘love your legals’. Splitting her time between Brisbane, Australia and Nadi, Fiji, Shalini is all about self-advocacy.
I invited Shalini to speak at Thrive on protecting yourself, protecting your business. Whether you are a corporate leader or running your own business, there is always something more you can do to look after yourself. Shalini shares insights from her many years supporting individuals and businesses.
About our Session
- Shalini’s career journey and how she pivoted from a career in teaching to commencing her legal studies and qualifying as a lawyer to starting her own practice
- What Shalini’s network looked like in the early days and how she grew it
- What Shalini did to build her impressive body of work including being featured on podcasts
- What led to her win – the Silver Stevie Award for “Company of the Year – Legal – Small in the Stevie International Business Awards 2019
- Proactive steps you can take to minimise legal risk as an individual
- Key elements to look for in every agreement you sign
- The most important legal documents to invest in when you are starting out in business
- How effective communication and negotiation early on can lead to better agreements
- Tips for engaging suppliers, partners and in joint ventures (for yourself or your business).
Thrive Meetup Details
Date: Saturday, 24 July 2021
Time: 1.00 PM – 2.20PM AEST (Canberra time) (80 minutes)
Format: Zoom call (video ON)
Guests: Capped at 12 on a first-come, best-served basis
Thrive Meetup Agenda
1.00 PM – 1.20 PM Introductions and networking (20 mins)
1.20 PM – 1.50 PM Rowena chats with Shalini (30 mins)
1.50 PM – 2.15 PM Moderated discussion open to the group (25 mins)
2.15 PM – 2.20 PM Wrap up and photos (5 mins)
2.20 PM Close
Important Information on Thrive Meetups
- Meetups are complimentary to join for career women only but require registration
- Meetups are limited to 12 guests to ensure optimal engagement and participation for all
- If you have signed up and need to cancel thereafter, please provide early notice (at the very least, 24 hours) so as to enable other registrations to come through
- While informative and educational, this is not intended as a webinar but as a meetup. Guests are expected to put their video on and to mingle, chat and ask questions.
- Meetups begin and conclude on time and guests are expected to be punctual. Late entrants (more than 10 minutes) will not be allowed in to avoid disruption.
Selection of Recent Meetups
While the meetups began as face to face gatherings in 2017, they transformed into online gatherings from 2020 onwards. These are a selection of the most recent meetup themes.
Thrive Meetups 2020
Thrive Meetups 2019
Thrive Meetups 2018 Q3&4
Thrive Meetups 2018 Q1&2
Thrive Meetups 2017
Selection of Recent Meetup Speakers
- Hester Spiegel-van den Steenhoven, EdTech | Investor-in-Residence | Angel investor | Founder of “42”-schools for Germany (Singapore)
- Stephanie Looi, Founder of Sound of Flowers, co-Founder of Purely B
- Alice Rixon, Managing Associate at Rob Dobson and Associates (Australia)
- Dana Rubin, founder of Speaking While Female and an advocate for women’s speech and voice (USA)
- Elizabeth Kirk PhD, Wellness Wise practitioner and Founder Beyond Ergo (Australia)
- Angela Bee Chan – 2x TEDx speaker, eco-Innovation Leader at Schneider Electric and CEO of Hackathons International (Australia)
- Nina Shahril Khan – CEO and Founder of PopCon and host of #JustLanggar (Malaysia)
- Sandra Ford Walston – The Courage Expert; global speaker and author; human potential consultant and trainer (USA)
- Noelle Lim – Presenter, BFM 89.9; Coach at Asia School of Business and Mindfulness Teacher, Kindermind Center (Malaysia)
- Shamila Gopalan – CEO and Founder of HerWit; Coach and Mentor (Accelerator Program – LaunchHUB) at RMIT University (Australia)
- Ulrika Brunner, CEO Inspire Group Asia (Malaysia)
- Nirmala Doraisamy, Independent Director Petronas Dagangan Berhad (Malaysia)
- Nellie Wartoft, CEO Tigerhall (Singapore)
- Billie Kaur, Senior Auditor BP Business Services Centre Asia (Malaysia)
- Jia-Ping Lee, Founder and Principal, Tempatico (Malaysia)
- Malisse Tan, Founder and CEO Bobble (Malaysia)
- Claudia Cadena, Founder and Principal Consultant at Thread Advisory (Malaysia)
- Urmilah Dass, Director Valley Psychological Services, Consultant Clinical Psychologist (Malaysia)
- Shi-Ying Lau, Partner/Investor/Mentor at NEXEA Venture Capital, Angel Investors and Accelerator (Malaysia)
- Jocelyn Ng, former COO Uniqlo Malaysia and Consultant, Jocelyn Ng Consultancy (Malaysia)
- Jude Tan, member of the Board of Advisors, Wholesome Leaders Asia (Malaysia)
Thrive is a women-only private group founded by Rowena Morais. We empower career women by connecting those who are starting out professionally (and needing support) with the more established women (who can mentor and share ideas). Thrive focuses on helping women develop their profile, network and body of work.
- Thrive runs complimentary monthly meetups for career women. Guests need to register and the meetup is capped at 14 guests per meetup to facilitate discussion and sharing. This is a meetup, not a webinar
- Guests are welcome to join the Thrive Meetup Facebook Group